Sunday, May 1, 2011

Two subjects and Chloe Hughes

At the moment I have two possible subjects I haven't got around to filming yet, but I hope to next week. They are the aforementioned Alex, a jewellery student and waitress, and Lachlan, an engineering student and hockey enthusiast. Ideally, I'd like to film them within the coming week, and I'm also throwing around the idea of bending the rules of the project a little to accomodate multiple sessions to cover an entire day. This may be especially relevant in the case of Sean, who's schedule is allowing of such practices.

I also saw Chloe Hughes's work at PICA, Structures to move to (conversations on work), which is similar to my work in the sense that both are documentaries of sorts, focusing on multiple individuals and their working environments. However, the most I can take from her work in terms of inspiration is justification for not prioritizing the audio in my piece. I found the monologues vaguely insightful, but almost without exception excruciatingly self-revolving and inwardly turned. Her work would have perhaps benefited from a small button placed next to the projection that, when pressed, mutes the video, and I was searching for this button within 5 minutes of sitting down. The claustrophobia may have intentional, but even if it was it completely contradicted any possible engagement with the work. I may then rely on a fixed standard of much video art and let the visuals say more than the audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment