Monday, June 13, 2011

Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

During the course of this project I have been directed, several times, to the work by Douglas Gordon Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait. The French art critic Philippe Parreno, with whom Gordon collaborated, described the intent behind the work as being to "make a feature film which follows the main protagonist of a story, without telling the story." According from the blog where I sourced this quote, it's about portraiture, and possibly narrative too, a claim I can support after watching snippets of it on Youtube (such as the clip below).


Seeing as my work can be read as a series of video portraits of extended length, it's quite possible that it may explore similar artistic territory as Gordon and Parreno's. However, it is impossible to evaluate the work without first considering that it was filmed by, in the words of blogger Dan Hill, " the best camera operators in US and Europe", using a mass of absurdly expensive, military-grade video equipment, and the subject is one of the world's most famous sports celebrities. I, on the other hand, used the facilities available to me and my subjects were people I know who expressed interest in the project. There are many differences you could list:
  • As previously mentioned, this work is constructed on ideals - ideals of wealth. It may be a comment on then, but would it be any less of one if the filmmakers had spent half the money they had to make it? My work is very much opposed to ideals. As I wrote in my proposal it's a take on a contemporary realism of sorts.
  • Part of this realism is based on honesty to the viewer, the visual documentation of perceived reality as opposed to manipulative cinematic techniques. This artwork has soft, acoustic elevator rock playing in the background. Why? To make it look and sound even more like an advertisement? It's certainly not an audio signify we're meant to consider consciously.
But the work is about repetitive actions - most of it seems to consist of Zidane running, and then slowing to a walk, then running again. And my work does document repetitive actions. But mine doesn't need a soft rock backing track to make it interesting to the viewer, they are allowed to consider the repetition how they will and find it interest in its representation, I won't force them beyond basic editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment